Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Rainy Day Reading

It is a wet and raining, dreary and chilly Wednesday morning, the kind of day that is perfect for curling up on the couch with a cup of coffee and a good book. My life has changed a little in the last 17 months: instead of reading the latest by Jodi Picoult,  a beautiful old classic from my growing collection or an enlightening biography, I'm reading a smattering of children's rhymes and simple stories printed on pages full of colourful and creative artwork. There is a little angel curled up next to me holding her frog in one hand and her milk in the other. My coffee is on the side table. Cold again.
17 months ago, cold coffee would have vexed me, but today I can only think of how blessed I am to have the life I've been given. As I thought about what to write this morning, I thought of how appropriate it would be to make a small list of rainy day reading. These are our three favourite books right now.

Pat the Bunny by Dorothy Kunhardt.
This book is a very old classic children's book full of simple sentances and fun activities. Elysia now says "peek-a-boo" at the appropriate page, and "oh, wow" when she looks in the mirror. This book was first published in 1940, and is still well loved by children everywhere.

Guess How Much I Love You by Sam McBratney
An adorable, mushy little story about parent and child rabbits describing how much they love each other. Sweet illustrations by Anita Jeram are fun and imaginative. This is Elysia's favourite bedtime story.

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.
This book is illustrated by none other than the very talented Eric Carle. Need I say more? Each page is a different animal of a different colour. A great tool for teaching colours, animals and the sounds they make. Elysia's favourite thing about this book though, is the fly leaf with it's rainbow of colours. She points to each one and waits for me to name it. Over and over. I could recite this book by heart.

 Now that I have listed said three favourite books and breakfast break is clearly over, I think I'll snuggle back into the living room and read some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment